Friday, January 11, 2013

American Division

One thing that causes me chronic low-grade anxiety is that the U.S. is so divided in opinion and vision. Hostility and fear undercut any attempt to come together to find common ground. I have had a vague sense that this division has always been true in my country, but not until I started to read American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America did the reasons become clearer. I'm only half-way through, but it has been extremely illuminating so far--providing context to all the outrage that permeates American politics and culture wars. Highly recommended for those who enjoy history or who are just tired of political shouting matches (T.V., radio, social media) where the only objective is to win the argument.  

No comments: